SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest is a standalone expansion to the RTPS/RPG mix SpellForce 3 and the second project from Grimlore Games. As a Game Designer, I iterated on existing systems, designed and implemented the two new factions, and focused on RTS and multiplayer / skirmish gameplay.
- Designed and implemented two new RTS factions: Dwarves and Dark Elves
- Iterated on existing RTS systems to improve gameplay feel
- Designed and prototyped new UX, meta-game progression system and other features
- Worked on campaign mission design together with the content team
- Worked on multiplayer / skirmish design and balance based on design guidelines
- Post-Release support based on community interaction, analytics and other data
- General game design tasks such as documentation and communication between departments
SpellForce 3 features both deep RPG gameplay as well as strategic and tactical RTS gameplay. You control a party of up to four heroes that can progress through story, experience levels and gear – but you also build up an economy and a large army in a unique RTS fashion.
The two systems are not just thrown into the blender, but instead carefully intertwined: You need to use your heroes to start the expansion for your RTS base, and enemies you face are often too strong to simply crush them with your heroes. You as the player need to carefully balance the attention between RPG and RTS, but get all the tools to do so.
SpellForce 3: Soul Harvest features an all-new campaign as well as two new RTS factions to play. It also improved upon existing systems.